Wednesday, February 11, 2009

BRIAN'S FAVORITE PASTA

I am married to the pickiest eater in the world. Brian doesn't like chicken, fish, casseroles, hamburger dishes, blah, blah, blah. He makes up weird rules about his food touching, and he only likes bacon when he's camping. I'm telling you, it's exhausting. Dinner time can be such a chore. By nothing short of a miracle, I tried this pasta dish, and he liked it. I've tweaked it a bit, but it's super easy.

1 pkg. linguine noodles
2 T olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic - I use the kind that comes in a jar
2 tsp. Italian seasoning - I like the 'grinder' kind
2 T Balsamic Vinegar
2 T Italian Dressing (if you are using the marinated artichoke hearts, I would leave this out.)
1 C artichoke hearts - I use marinated artichoke hearts, but if you're trying to be healthy you can use the kind that comes packed in water. Sometimes I chop them. Sometimes I add them whole.
1 can sliced or whole black olives
1 chopped tomato
1/2 lb cooked shrimp (w/out tails)
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cook the linguine according to package directions. Drain.

While the pasta is cooking, combine olive oil, garlic, vinegar, Italian dressing, and seasoning in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the artichoke hearts, olives, tomato and shrimp and cook until heated thoroughly. (Don't overcook or the shrimp will shrink and get rubbery.)

Pour veggie/shrimp mixture over pasta and serve with Parmesan cheese or grated mozzarella.

I've added fresh mushrooms before. I've substituted a can of diced tomatoes instead of a fresh tomato. I've used fire roasted tomatoes. It has always turned out great. I think it would be good with chicken instead of the shrimp. I also would like to try it with broccoli and summer squash. You really can't mess it up!

Serve it with a green salad and french bread and you have dinner! It's super fast and super easy. The entire meal comes together in 15 or 20 minutes. Enjoy!

1 comment:

The Lawn Ranger's Woman said...

I thought you were going to say...load kids into car, drive to provo, stop at olive garden....just kidding. This dish looks delish! And the Whitts LOVE pasta.